Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Appointment with surgeon

I had my pre-op appointment with my surgeon yesterday. She was running 30 minutes behind, so I had some time to flip through the magazines in the waiting room. There was an ad in one of the fertility magazines for a place in Washington DC (Shady Grove Fertility Clinic) that has a donor egg program. Uhh... yeah it's expensive.

For one cycle, it's $30,500 if you want to use all of the cycle's eggs for yourself. If you share it, it would be $19,700 between two people or $17,800 between three. Egg totals = about 18. If you don't get pregnant... no refund.

Interestingly enough, you have the choice of buying 6 cycles, and if you don't get pregnant they will refund you your money back. Costs are $57,500/$42,000/$34,000.

We are so not at this stage (nor do I really think given the costs we would entertain this) but it is good information to know.

The appointment itself was good - my surgeon is great, and is part of the same fertility clinic as my doctor. The only reason why my doctor is not doing it is because we want to do the surgery ASAP and her colleague has some surgery time open. We discussed not doing anything else but the tubes, but she said that she may have to do some stuff to get at the tubes. She also asked if it wouldn't affect ovarian reserve, if she could remove the tubes and I said yes (since if we just leave the tubes in there, that horrible toxic fluid is still in my body).

The other bit of news that came out of my appointment is that she confirmed she would want me to have one cycle before I do IVF. Since I will be on or about my Day 2... I wonder if this means I need to wait another full cycle, or if I can start and the end of the current one? I will call and ask.

I requested that they do another FSH test on this cycle's Day 3. I haven't heard the results yet. I really really hope that the other test was a fluke, and that my levels are normal!

2 comments:

  1. Yes, definitely call and ask. I hope you don't have to wait another full cycle.

    And that donor egg program? Wowza expensive. Wowza.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is. And now I'm thinking - I wonder if my work would cover the meds even though I am not taking them? All very interesting questions. As people may know, donor egg selling is banned in Canada. So your options here are either (a) find someone who will do it for you or (b) do it under the table (e.g. hire someone and bring them in saying 'your friend' has agreed to do this for you). If you take a look at Craigslist, there are postings by people looking for eggs. I've also seen postings from people saying they have leftover embryos that they are willing to donate, and I've seen the responses of people desperate to be considered as recipients.

    I wish we had male infertility. I'm not saying it's any easier, but it is FAR easier to get donor sperm than donor egg in this country.

    ReplyDelete